04 December 2018

4. University of Florida Museum of Natural History

Location: Gainesville, Florida
Website: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/
The Collections: I visited Gainesville for 2014's North American Paleontological Convention, and while I nearly didn't make it due to snowstorms in Atlanta (my flight was rerouted through Tampa, forcing me to drive up the coast and visit the manatee sanctuary of Crystal River Springs during peak wildlife viewing season; serendipity can be pretty great sometimes) I'm glad I did. Florida's fossil record is a surprisingly rich one and the carnivore fossils I was able to measure and photograph in the collections there are still paying dividends in my ongoing work on the evolution of cat skeletons,
The Exhibits: People don't tend to think of Florida as a fossil treasure trove, but this museum will change your mind. Florida was a crossroads of continents following the growth of the Isthmus of Panama, and the wonderfully designed fossil hall at the museum showcases South American migrants such as ground sloths, armadillos, and terror birds as well as home-grown North American taxa including a mind-boggling array of carnivores. If you like fossil sharks, I cannot imagine a better place to visit. Beyond the fossils, the museum does a better job than any other I've visited of blending its natural and cultural history exhibits, including a truly eye opening display on the enigmatic Calusa civilization.