11 January 2009

Happy Swan Day

A month ago, I proposed that today, James G. Swan's birthday, would make an admirable regional holiday for the Northwest.  I don't know about you all, but it's a lovely (for January) day here in Eugene, and I intend to celebrate accordingly.  The best way to do so, at least as far as I see it?  Go do something today that you couldn't do if you lived elsewhere.  I plan to walk up Spencer's Butte or around Hendricks Park; if you're in Seattle, a trip to the Pike Place Market or Ballard Locks might be in order, and Portlanders have easy access to the Gorge and the northern Oregon Coast (to say nothing of Powell's).  If you're up for something more low-key, or are a Northwesterner exiled to some other part of the world, might I recommend sitting down with a book by Jonathan Raban, Ken Kesey, or any number of other local authors (which would go well with some local music, anything from George Frederick McKay to Pearl Jam).  Whatever you do, if you - like me - love the Northwest, try to take a moment at some point to reflect on just how lucky you are to be a resident of one of the most beautiful corners of the world.  Happy Swan Day!

No comments: